Saturday, October 6, 2007

I thought I was going to die this week. Not in a 16 year old got dumped by her boyfriend a day before the prom kind of way, but was too sick to even call anyone for help. My body has a tendency to not travel well, I usually break out into hives, have a massive headache for a week, get a bladder infection, a hacking cough. This time it was all the above and I slept for three days straight. Going to the Japanese doctor was interesting. Even with someone there to help me try and communicate what was wrong, not much got through. The good news is that it was quick healthcare on the cheap (Grandma says because Asians are so smart!). Everyone should try and go to a doctor in Japan at least once in thier life. Maybe it all seemed so strange because my brain was frying (No I wasn't doing drugs Mom and Dad!). I went and sat down in what seemed like a compromise between someones living room and a doctors office (equipt with grandfather clock and everything). The really fantastic part about it was how many times I had to change my damn shoes there. So if you didnt know, in Japan you take your shoes off pretty much every time you enter someones house or a school and many other places. What is even more interesting is that there are other special shoes you need to put on to fullfill other tasks while in the house/hospital/etc. So I get to the hosptial and I change into the standard size 6 slipper they provide for me and then I mosey over to the restroom. In the bathroom there were other shoes that I was to put on instead of the slippers while using the toilet. This country is very complex with its shoes policy. What is driving this slipper frenzy? Is it something the Japanese people do to keep themselves occupied so that they do not constantly fret about impending typhoons, earthquakes, and volcanoes? As soon as my Japanese becomes good enough ill be sure to ask and get back to you on this issue.

No comments: